Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Christmas 2011

I will start by saying that this post will be long and will probably take me a few days to put together. I just decided to do one big Christmas post instead of breaking it up into so many little ones. I'm also just going to let the pictures do most of the talking because there are many to add to this post!

We started off our celebrating with Mr. Britton and Mema! I know I say it all the time, but I really don't know what the Brown family did to deserve them! They love us like their very own.
Landon was excited about his Skylanders!
Reagan got a diary and a some crackle nail polish!
Payton asked for all sorts of musical instruments this year. Mr. Britton and Mema came through with bells...
...and a violin! She was in heaven!
They also gave Brad and me a gift card for a night in a hotel with the understanding that they would have our children. WE.DO.NOT.DESERVE.THEM!

Mr. Britton, Mema and the kids

The week before Christmas, we headed up to Sherman to spend the day with Pops and Lucy. Their neighbors have a giant decorated tree on the porch, and Pops makes sure we get pictures there each year. We picked a pretty lousy time of day to take them (and I have yet to really learn to use my camera...ugh) so we are struggling to keep our eyes open in all the pictures!
That afternoon, we spent some time at the new Harber Wildlife Museum in Sherman. It was incredible! The Harbers are a husband and wife team that have been hunting together since they were married and wanted to preserve all the animals they have hunted. They have opened this museum to do just that. The kids were amazed to be so close to real animals like these!
That night, we carried on the tradition of going to the Grayson County Light Show. I didn't take a single picture while we were driving through.

The afternoon of the 24th, we took Pops and Lucy with us to our Christmas Eve service at church. We then came home, ate a yummy meal and watched some football. That night, Brad read to the Christmas story to us and we lit our final candle of Advent. I love this night with my family every single year. I love that we stop on a crazy, busy, exciting day, read God's word as a family, and focus on the real reason why we are celebrating.
(I know I'm biased, but man, I've got a good looking hubby!)
The kids (except for one, who spent the whole time posing instead of listening!) drank hot chocolate and listened to Daddy read the Christmas Story.
Once everyone was tucked in bed and sound asleep, SANTA came!
LP's loot
Reagan
Payton
My babies waiting for the OK from Daddy to come downstairs and see what Santa brought
I love these next three pictures!
Little sister was running a little behind, but not any less excited.
Around 7:30, more fun began when their cousins, Brandt and Carson, showed up!
We gave Pops and Lucy a couple of pictures of all their grandchildren together. It was a hit and I think might have been their favorite gift.
Payton, Reagan, Pops, Brandt, Lucy, Landon and Carson
Once we had polished off breakfast with Brad's side of the family, it was time to head to Waco to be with the Boyd crew. When I say crew, I mean 19 people! Just look at this picture my sister took with her phone of my parents' mantle. Have you ever seen anything more wonderful in all your life? It's crazy 100% of the time we are there, but it is so very worth it. I love being a member of the always expanding Boyd mantle!
Landon and Reagan love being with their cousin, Cooper. We only get to see them a few times a year, so each chance we get is super exciting!
Time to open stockings!
Santa came through big time with these Heisman t-shirts for everyone!
Reid was a serious gift opener!
Brad with Payton and Riley
It's become a tradition (and it just keeps us sane!) for Doc and Mimi to get a hotel room (this year it had to be two rooms!) and take all the bigger kids along for the night! Payton and Reid even got to spend the night this year! (Aunt Ernie was actually roped into to spending the night, too, since Doc wasn't feeling too great.) We always take advantage of the indoor pool. It gives the kids something different to do and gets all of us out of the house for the evening! Once we have completely taken over the place with pizza and kids, the adults head out and have a night to breathe! :-)
The Hulme Family of Four!
Another tradition that Doc and Mimi have started, is getting sitters for one afternoon/evening while we are all there. Then the big folks take off for some much needed adult time! This year we spent that time at Alli's and Kyle's playing Baggo (If you've never played, look it up! It's such a great game!), eating and talking without being interrupted ten times in a matter of a minute! This will be one thing we do every single year. It's so refreshing to be with my family!
Kyle and JD in a mean game of Baggo
Erin and Alli on the other side
My hubby and me
me, Mimi and Aunt Ash
Yikes! That's a lot of kids! Doc and Mim are in heaven (and probably really exhausted) with all 9 of their grandchildren. Brewer wins the award for happiest baby ever. Just look at those little hands thrown up in the air in excitement! Then take a peek at his big brother on the opposite end. Reid was not thrilled about this group picture.
Reid, Reagan, Doc, Holden, Mimi, Riley, Payton, Landon, Brewer, Cooper and Sam
And I'll close with this. My sweet Daddy all warm and cozy in his fleece, footed, BU jammies! Is that not the funniest thing you have ever seen? I love this 71-yr-old Baylor nut! As I was taking this picture, Erin says to me, "You're not taking a picture of him in that, are you?"
Why, Yes. Yes, I am, Ernie. And I'm putting it on my blog as well! :-)
It was an incredible Christmas and I am never quite ready for it to end. We are so richly blessed with wonderful families to celebrate with. Thank you, God for the birth of your son! Merry Christmas to all!

2 comments:

Meg said...

bahaha!! i love that pic of your daddy!! and i LOVE the pic of your parents mantle. makes me want a BIG GIANT FAMILY!! even though these days of raising kiddos is hard, i look at that picture & think how very very worth it it all is!! xoxo, friend!!

Miranda said...

I seriously need to get with the program and blog about our christmas!
I LOVE the picture of your sweet daddy. Such fun traditions and memories.

Happy New Year Brown family